Area: Consider your college, work, school facilities for children, hospital and your family circumstances when choosing an area to stay during the course duration. If you are renting, make sure you have a budget and consider (delete your) affordability before deciding. Ensure that you always sign a contract with landlords, estate agencies or housing associations so that there is a legal agreement to protect your rights.


Try to use an authorised and qualified agency when renting a property. For example, you can check if the letting agency is a member of:

  • Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)
  • National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA)
  • Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
  • UK Association of Letting Agents (UKALA)

When selecting a letting agent, always ask them how much they charge and what the charges are for.Letting agents should not charge you for registering with them or simply showing you a list of properties. Always get receipts for any payments you make, such as a holding deposit or a security deposit.

If you are in doubt or need information on getting accommodation, please contact student welfare by emailing

Council tax

Households where everyone’s a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • last at least 1 year
  • involve at least 21 hours study per week

Please read more information at

Accommodation costs

For more information on accommodation costs visit (Northampton) (Dagenham)